Saturday, January 19, 2008

Martin Luther King, Jr

Ok I've been a little lax in days and didn't even realize that MLK day was on Monday. I can't believe that it's almost the end of the month already. Our library here has started doing an art class on Sat afternoons and we've been going. It's only been 2 weeks but so far it's been really fun. (just another day for me to spend at the library right?, lol) Well anyways, in an effort to get us caught up we did 2 projects today, a sugar and sand art project and then something for MLK day. Well the first project was easy. Glue and colored sand on paper, how can you go wrong? lol. Then it was time for the second project.

The lady asked how old the kids were and if they knew who made the line "I have a dream" famous, or rather who spoke those words. Well let me give you a little background about the other kids in the this class. There is Savie and myself, another mom who has a 4yr old and a 3yr old, and then a lady visiting from Alaska with a 9-10yr old. The old girl is the only one in the class that is not half black. So back to the teacher.

She was going off talking about how he was a great man and that we should watch programs about him this weekend, etc. I am all for that and have nothing against anything she said, it is after all a part of black history. Then she proceeded to tell us that "even a 3yr old should be able to understand what is going on". Then, continuing to look at myself and my daughter, she wants to know if she knows who he is and what he stood for. Am I wrong in thinking that at 3 she has no idea what is going on? That she is more interested in coloring and painting? So I got over that. The whole point of the project we were suppose to make was "who inspires you to be a better person, what are your dreams, what do you want to be when you grow up".

Ok that's fine for the older girl but how would a 4yr old know the answer to that? Am I wrong in thinking that? Have I lost my mind? I was a little put off by the fact that she was trying to tell me what I should be teaching my child. I know what she needs to know about black history, about the people who gave their lives so that I, as a african american woman, can go where I want, do what I want, and live where I want. I know this, there is no need to tell me that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ok I feel a little better now. Sorry for the speech but I have been thinking about this all day.